Khakra

Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Oscar watch

(Post rated R.)

As the Oscars approach, I start my pre-Oscar watch, viewing every possible movie on the list. Saw Crash yesterday -- though confusing at times, it has brilliant performances from Don Cheadle, Jennifer Esposito and Matt Dillon, one of whom could swab a supporting performance nomination. The Shaniqua lady in a one-minute role was brilliant too, with all size, action and energy.

So was Thandie Newton, the most delicate beauty on this planet. In one scene, she looks back to a police car, after performing a fellatio on her husband who is driving. I love that frame; the black and white background makes her look so fragile and beautiful, it just melts my heart. (sorry m!)

Crash is worth checking out, if only for its brilliant performances and strong characters, who are all loosely tied to each other. The movie looks at race relations -- white folks, black folks, chinese, hispanics, even Iranians. Yo, where are the desis?? Desis always run after money, and in this movie, no one has any. It's a grim drama with some humor thrown in. The attempt to throw in LA reality is brave, though it falls a bit short.

Yeah, like my criticism of Crash will shake up the Academy and deny it any nomination. If you don't include desis in your movie, don't expect our community to be quiet.

The movie wraps up with "Maybe Tomorrow", a Stereophonics single. The synthesizer-type music mixed with sounds from their roots makes it sound like a new-age version of the band. It matches up with the high-energy concert they put up when I saw them live during my years in England.

Any recommendations for the next Oscar movie to watch?

10 Comments:

Blogger venus said...

watch Munich dude! I would like it if they include munich in the oscar bandwagon!

I've heard that our "Black" movie has been under consideration for Oscar! I am waiting for it to win one.

11:07 AM  
Blogger chick pea said...

um, everyone is talking about broke back mtn....

and for documentary...'march of the penguins; :)

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really should see The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. Its is trully fantastical!

2:32 AM  
Blogger square peg said...

I just saw Munich and it was AWESOME though a little confusing and kind of long. (And be careful who you take to see it! I thought this movie was more action/dialogue but there are some pretty raunchy sex scenes.)

12:41 PM  
Blogger oodles said...

I thought Paheli was India's nomination.
And, I've heard good things about Walk the Line, but have yet to see it.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

catch 'paheli' - india's entry to the oscars.

tej

9:31 PM  
Blogger EYE said...

yeah! the world has really progressed! We do get Frootis in bottles this side.:) Btw my suggestion for your Oscar watch list is Black

1:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely Munich. Pretty intense.

8:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me cast a strong vote for Good Night, and Good Luck. Brokeback was a good movie, but nowhere near as fascinating, in my opinion.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Khakra said...

Saw Match Point, released recently, supposedly Woody Allen's greatest to this point. What makes it interesting is the character development. I'll refrain from further comment until you've seen it. Think this: if you have to choose between Munich and Match Point, go for Munich, no doubt. Match Point gets my vote as the weirdo movie of the year.

believe paheli is india's official entry. it's great, but i doubt it'll win an Oscar, let alone even a filmfare award!

i HATE penguins! if penguins saw promos of that doc-u-diary on TV, even they'd be ashamed of themselves.

I've heard so much about Munich, not gonna miss that.

Walk the Line.. good suggestion. Name reminds me of Terrence Malik's war movie The Thin Red Line. Jim Caviezel was great until he hung himself in Passion. Passion was weird, but in some ways it was well made.

Certainly wanna catch up on Narnia allie!

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home