Khakra

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Harold and Kumar go to....

Wanna spread happiness around? Unwittingly, I spread around loads of it after mentioning the impending release of Harold and Kumar go to.... in 2007. Folks were so thrilled they started dancing around. Where do the White Castle freaks go? It's a no-brainer. The dope capital in Europe. Go ahead and Google for more info.

Also, as I walked to Market St. with a fellow journalist yesterday after work, a flowing conversation led to the kid's book "Charlotte's Web," where a little piggy enlists the help of a spider from becoming pork. As a kid, I never read it, I was just so obsessed with Dr. Seuss titles like "Go Dog Go" that I missed a whole generation of kiddie fiction.

Coincidentally, there's a film version of Charlotte's Web coming out too, in late 2006, I just saw the trailer a few days ago. Told her that, and so thrilled she was, she jumped on the streets.

Thinking about the fiction I've read for a while, it's been mixed. I started with Dr. Seuss, then moved to Enid Blyton-Roald Dahl type stuff, (forget the middle), then got to Hardy Boys (ok, I'm NOT embarassed!). A few uninspiring mysteries later I took on non-fiction, perhaps at 17 or 18. I'm still stuck on that end, like war stories and lives of real people. Occassionally, I read fiction, Don DeLillo's my favorite author.

Right now, I'm back to the basics -- Harry Potter VI. It's frustrating at times to see the verbosity -- I'm a pro editor -- but keep in mind, the book is written for kids who need more words to understand the sentence. It takes real talent to write such easy-to-read books, hats off to JK Rowling.

The misguided, rock music-obsessed Chick Pea is a person who writes like that in the blog universe. Simple language, an easy-to-read format and great structure make her blog super fun to read. Dr. Seuss' absolute, puristic influence. Her prescriptions will be terrible to read though.

8 Comments:

Blogger chick pea said...

oh mr. khakra... that was the nicest comment ever...

did u know... that i applied to dartmouth for college...soley because dr. seuss went there? no joke... and that the application was pretty (very colorful)...

after i got in.. my parents told me..what the hell would i do in new hampshire besides eat green eggs and ham...

hence.. i became a trojan..for life ;)...

misguided? nahh...
my prescriptions are the most difficult to read...
;)...

p.s. i read nancy drew, enid blyton, beverly cleary, judy blume... and no i'm not embarrassed...and my ultra fave... shel silverstein...

p.p.s. thanks for making my day mr. khakra... your rockstar friend...

3:46 PM  
Blogger Rashmi Bansal said...

Khakra bhai - maja maan chhe? What doing these days, where? No India visit coming up? What about girlfriends of exotic nationalities ? Please to update !

7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hardy boys? bah!! nancy drew all the way.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Khakra said...

chick pea.. NH *isn't* just green eggs and ham! it's also got some cool cheap alcohol. You're a trojan, so you're misguided. Blanket assumption. Atleast Polamalu signed with the right team...

rashmi, majhama chhoo. heard of the gujju parent trap? a marriage doesn't work just because ma and swiss gal share a love for tina turner. BTW, where in the world is 'basel' mala?

jane.. as a kid i was still too manly a man to indulge in Nancy Drew *grump*

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

market street in philly by any chance?
there are however, market streets, all over....

8:10 AM  
Blogger chick pea said...

what? trojans rule...
NH is cheap alcohol..and drunk frat boys...

FUN ;)...NOT...

polamalu rules. will see him NEXT WEEK! gotta fro out the FRO

12:44 PM  
Blogger Khakra said...

market street in san francisco. the main thoroughfare of the city. you missin' philly? :)

garbanzo, does that equal Dr. Seuss being a drunk frat boy? hey, UCLA ain't any better

2:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey now... fucla you mean? my alma mater for being un doctor?

the wanna be rockstar... the bean

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home